SALTSMAN’S HOTEL
Celebrating over 200 Years as a Destination Restaurant
In the early 1800s, a pioneering entrepreneur named Peter Schram ran a tavern in the center of this sleepy rural town, establishing Ephratah as a place for stage-coach travelers to stop for rest and refreshment on the way from Johnstown to Canajoharie or Little Falls.  Schram built the Apollo Hall in 1813 and turned his business into a social center for dining and dancing, and two hundred years later, the establishment long since known as Saltsman's Hotel continues to attract travelers with appetites for traditional fare and a connection to the past.  The restaurant was owned by five generations of the Saltsman family before Jim and Tammie Subik bought it from Raymond Saltsman Jr. in 1979, and for many visitors, a trip to Saltsman's is like a trip back in time. One of the oldest restaurants in the state, it stopped operating as a hotel sometime before World War II. Some of Saltsman's more famous guests have included Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Nelson Rockefeller, philanthropist Owen D. Young and longtime White House correspondent Helen Thomas.  An early 20th century guest book on display in the foyer this week was open to a page bearing the signature of J. Meyer Schine, owner of the Glove Theatre in Gloversville and a nationwide chain of movie theaters.  The building is filled with other memorabilia, including photographs of the hotel in its heydey and specimens of taxidermy. A stuffed raccoon who greets guests in the barroom with a toothpick holder is one of the more memorable pieces.
Saltsman's Hotel  -  Junction of Route 67 & 10 --  Ephratah, New York   --  518-993-4412